Senate Counsel, Research
and Fiscal Analysis
Minnesota Senate Bldg.
95 University Avenue W. Suite 3300
St. Paul, MN 55155
(651) 296-4791
Tom Bottern
Director
   Senate   
State of Minnesota
 
 
 
 
 
S.F. No. 549 - Net receipts and combined net receipts tax rates modification
 
Author: Senator Carrie Ruud
 
Prepared By: Nora Pollock, Senate Counsel (651/297-8066)
 
Date: February 5, 2019



 

There are two types of tax imposed on charitable gambling activities. The net receipts tax is a flat 8.5% rate on the gross receipts from the conduct of paper bingo, raffles, and paddleboards less the amount of prizes paid out on from the those games. The combined net receipts tax is imposed on the net receipts from the conduct of paper or electronic pull-tabs, tipboards, and electronic linked bingo. The combined net receipts tax is imposed at graduated rates to corresponding net receipt amounts.

This bill reduces the net receipts tax from 8.5% to 4.25% and modifies the rates and brackets for the combined net receipts tax. Under the bill, the tax is 4.5% on the first $200,000 in combined net receipts; 9% on the amount over $200,000 but not over $500,000, and 13.5% on all amounts over $500,000. 

The bill also strikes obsolete language pertaining to modifying the tax rates for the combined net receipts tax based on estimated revenue for fiscal year 2016.

Effective July 1, 2019.

 
Check on the status of this bill
 
Back to Senate Counsel and Research Bill Summaries page
 

 
This page is maintained by the Office of Senate Counsel, Research, and Fiscal Analysis for the Minnesota Senate.
 
Last review or update: 02/05/2019
 
If you see any errors on this page, please e-mail us at webmaster@senate.mn